Weizhe (Wesley) Chen 陈伟哲
Welcome to my homepage! I am a fifth-year Ph.D. candidate at Indiana University - Bloomington, co-advised by Lantao Liu (Vehicle Autonomy and Intelligence Lab) and Roni Khardon (Machine Learning Research Group). I also spent a wonderful summer at Mitsubishi Electric Research Laboratories working with Diego Romeres on projects involving robot arms.
This is my fluffy friend – Caramel – playing around with the Crazyflie drone 😂. She listens attentively, touching, sniffing, and changing the angle of view to know more about the drone. Can robots exhibit such active information gathering behavior?
How does a robot (team) safely collect informative data to efficiently build an accurate model of an unknown function, e.g., environment, localization, or dynamics, under robot embodiment constraints?
To solve this safe and active robot learning problem, I work on uncertainty-aware machine learning and decision making under uncertainty.
- Machine Learning: Gaussian Processes, Neural Networks, Bayesian Modeling and Inference
- Decision Making under Uncertainty: (Partially Observable) Markov Decision Process, Reinforcement Learning, Informative Planning, Model-Predictive Control, Planning as Inference
I believe that communication and collaboration facilitate creativity, critical thinking, and responsible research. If you feel like getting in touch, please feel free to drop me an email:
If you are curious about my name, it consists of two Chinese characters — Wei(伟) Zhe(哲) — which means “great philosophy” and pronounces like “wager”. I also go by Wesley to make it easier 😜.
- [Jan 2023] One paper accepted by ICRA 2023
- [Dec 2022] An invited paper was submitted to IJRR
- [Jun 2022] Attentive Kernel won the Best Student Paper Award at RSS 2022!
- [Apr 2022] One paper accepted by RSS 2022
- [Feb 2022] Summer internship at Mitsubishi Electric Research Laboratory (MERL)
- [Jan 2022] One paper accepted by ICRA 2022
- [Dec 2021] Our work is posted on Amazon Science
- [Nov 2021] Field experiment on a quarry lake
- [Nov 2021] Shared ROS driver of BlueRobotics single-beam sonar.
- [Aug 2021] Field experiment on the Monroe Lake
- [Mar 2021] Tested USV on the University Lake.
- [Dec 2019] Tested unmanned surface vessel (USV) in the IU swimming pool
- [Sep 2019] Paper accepted by CDC 2019.
- [Jun 2019] Paper accepted by RSS 2019.